Who We Are
Jane H. Merrill, Lawyer
I’m Jane. Mom. Lawyer. Complexity Explainer. Wife. Strategic Thinker. Mandolin Player. Problem Solution Seeker. Daughter. Book Reader. Aunt to Delightful Nieces and Nephews. Theatre Go-er and (sometimes) Performer. Little Sister. Hand Talker. Grateful American.
My brother is only six months older than me. Through the miracle of adoption, we grew up much like twins. We were in the same grade in school and shared the same group of friends. Growing up we celebrated my brother’s “A” day, which marked the day my parents brought him home. I’m grateful for my brother, and I’m grateful my parents didn’t give up on their dream of having children.
My own children teach me incredible lessons about life and bring me more joy and hope than I ever imagined. My first child was born during the summer between my second and third years of law school. Her strong and independent spirit motivated me to show her she could be anything she wanted to be. So I pressed on through my last year of law school, including a three-hour daily commute, so I could become a lawyer.
I attended the University of South Carolina School of Law. Describing law school as challenging is an understatement and I’m proud of my accomplishments there. I served as the Student Works Editor of the prestigious South Carolina Law Review and I was a member of the Mock Trial Team. As a second year law student, I authored a scholarly article that was selected for publication in the South Carolina Law Review. Since law school, I’ve clerked for a Circuit Court Judge, prosecuted criminal cases as an assistant solicitor, litigated civil and family cases as a law firm associate, and represented those accused of a crime at pleas and trials.
My second daughter was born on the same date as my brother’s “A” day. Her sweet Mama-loving spirit made me evaluate the balance between work and family. Another attorney once told me it’s impossible to be a mother and a lawyer at the same time. I disagree. I opened Hawthorne Merrill Law to serve clients that appreciate and understand my desire for both career and family. I work inside and outside the courtroom, and help a variety of clients along the way.
Memberships, Volunteer Experience, and Honors & Awards
- South Carolina State Bar
- South Carolina District Court
- Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Department of Veterans Affairs, Accredited Attorney
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator
- South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys (2015-present)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys (2015-present)
- National Organization of Veterans Advocates (2013-2014)
- Chair, Board of Directors, Greenwood Community Theatre (Chair, 2020, Vice Chair, 2019, Member, 2015-present)
- Board of Directors, Greenwood County Community Foundation (2016-present)
- Volunteer Attorney Coach, GHS Mock Trial Team (2013-present)
- Founding Member, Greenwood Women Cares (2018-present)
- Leadership Greenwood (Class of 2018)
- Mentor to college students by providing internships for 10 Lander University students since 2013
- Mentor, South Carolina New Lawyer Mentoring Program (2017-2018)
- Greenwood Women’s Leadership Council (2012-2017)
- Volunteer Instructor, Law School for Non-Lawyers (2012 and 2014)
- Senior Warden and Vestry Member, Episcopal Church of the Resurrection (Senior Warden 2012, Vestry member 2010-2011)
- Member, Kiwanis International (2009-present)
- G. Dewey Oxner, Jr. Mentor of the Year Award (2019)
- Star Under 40 Award, Greenwood Chamber of Commerce (2015)
- Student Works Editor & Editorial Board, South Carolina Law Review (2005-2007)
- Phi Beta Kappa